Janus was the Roman god of gates, doors, beginnings and endings. He had two faces or heads; one that faced the past and one that faced the future which allowed him to both learn from and remember the past while moving forward into the future. . . thus the month "January" is fittingly his namesake.
I love New Years --- it has ranked as my second favorite holiday next to Christmas for years. Partly because as a deprived child it was the only time all year that I ever saw Doritos and Sprite in the house. My mom would take us to the store and let all the kids pick out ANYTHING we wanted. Then, we would eat like gluttons; personal pan pizzas with all the toppings, chips, dip, sodas, ice cream, pickles etc. Then we would all dance in the living room, shred newspaper into strips (you'll see why later) and play games. At five minutes till midnight we would watch the ball drop and immeadiately when it fell we would run around the house banging pots and pans with metal spoons, jump on the trampoline screaming "happy new year!!" and throw our bags of newspaper strips all over the house (this always led to an insane fight where each person tried to shove as much newspaper as possible up the shirts of everyone in the house until we were all laughing, screaming, smudged with gray ink and stuffed like twice-baked potatoes).
With all the new beginnings, goals and changes of a new year I've recalled to life The Post it Note Novel. B and I decided a long time ago to start a new blog-- I must have put a fake email on the Haystack because niether of us are the owners of the blog and we haven't been able to add any friends or family to our sidebar, change our settings or even see the pictures that we upload. Soooo, what better time to start a new blog than the beginning of a new year and decade? So raise your plastic cups of Sprite-- here's to the new year, the new decade, the new blog and the new adventures of 2010.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
just checking this.
ReplyDeleteSad to see the old blog leave, but looking forward to the new one!
ReplyDeleteHooray! Are you back in Moab-ish also?
ReplyDeleteI love the title to your blog! Very creative, and look forward to your posts!
ReplyDeleteOk, at first I didn't get why you were changing, so thanks for the explanation. PS: cool info on Janus! It made me think of Lot's wife and how she looked back. Interesting. I LOVE YA!
ReplyDeleteWelcome back, little PINN! Although the Haystack will be missed...My favorite part of this first post is not the amusing, yet so true description of New Years at our home, but rather the subtle allusion to A Tale of Two Cities. Yes, I caught it and yes, I do love it!
ReplyDelete...and you said no one checks this? Girl!
ReplyDeleteLoved the post. Inspired my current post. Check it out yo.
Love you!